[squeak-dev] Squeak on tablets

OpenSlate ChalkDust openslateproj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 20:54:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Gary.
>
> So I think the hardest part will really be agreeing on what gestures mean
> what.
>
> I've run Squeak, Cuis, and Pharo over iOS (thanks mostly to John McIntosh
> and Bert Freudenberg,) and I'd recommend avoiding that platform for what
> I'm guessing your purposes might be. App Store cuts us off at the knees for
> everything except "end-user" applications, which basically shoves anyone
> wanting to write a program and share it with other people (young or old)
> into the $99:year iOS developer program; not a suitable arrangement for
> either revolutionary thinking or early education.
>
> Android, whichever version: I've heard folks have made some progress here,
> but maneuvering around all of the Java infrastructure isn't my bag, (rather
> just compile and run C code) so I haven't even tried it.
>
> I'm looking forward to this whole Ubuntu Mobile thing. At least that's
> just Unix at some (accessable) level in a mobile device.
>
> Here's what I'd do right now if I had an income: Raspberry Pi model-B
> rigged up (somehow!) to a Pixel Qi dual mode transflective display. These
> aren't too expensive, can do the natural light ebook thing as well as the
> backlit usual thing. The prototyping kit is around $300 last I checked, but
> it gets a loooooooooot cheaper when you buy in bulk (these are basically XO
> screens.)

I like your attitude and I agree this *should* be possible. So far a
solution has remained just beyond my horizon.

I saw where there is now a standard for connecting to LCD displays without
going through RGB or HDMI. When I have some time I'll look that up.

So stick one of those underneath a capacitive touch screen kit.

This has been a major sticking point for me. The only digitizers I have
found come from Taiwan or China, are marketed to engineers and sold in
bulk, aimed at manufacturers. For my skill level I need "connect to USB
system and look for this HID mouse device." A hobbyist kit.

Anybody have any suggestions?

> Now autocad yourself a nice enclosure, and have Shapeways 3D print it. Put
> the bits together, USB wifi module optional!

Interesting how 3D printing has changed the custom fabrication scene. Ten
years ago I saw self made student slates as a new kind of industrial arts
class. Where I took wood shop and metal shop, these kids would create slate
enclosures. I guess 3D printing would move the same concept forward one
generation and be a whole lot safer.

--
Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project