[squeak-dev] No subject

Azka Niazi azka.akn at live.com
Thu Jun 20 15:58:49 UTC 2013

Treat me like a beginner. I have two targets:1. I want to document the source code of Scratch.2. I want to modify Scratch.
Below the #'s is what I have already been told through this mailing list.
Now, the source code provided for Scratch [1] has two files with code inside them; a .SOURCES file and a .CHANGES file. I have two simple questions:What is the purpose of the two files?If I want to change the code in one of these file and see it how does it come out, (how) can that be done?
I have been able to understand the format of the source code provided. I would like to ask is there is any code which is responsible for creating the OO world of Scratch. The system categories for Scratch objects hold a lot of classes in them. Those classes, along with a lot of other new and old classes have been used to construct Scratch. These classes didn't preexist. Can a file of code not be used to create new classes and system categories?
Squeak by Example [8] talks about a 'hierarchy browser' which is easy to find with the files provided with it. Is there a similar kind of thing to explore Scratch objects? If yes, how to get to it. If no, how do can I trace the hierarchy of inheritance objects used to make Scratch.
Thanks,Azka
##################################Scratch uses the Morphic UI on a Squeak image with a virtual machine underneath. The Squeak version is, I think, 2.8 (as opposed to 4.4 which is about to come out) and came out in 2005. The important difference is that the virtual machine has changed. Modern vms are closure complete and have a JIT. To see Squeak 2.8 when it was released. [7]For some videos on Scratch from a Squeak perspective [3-6].An introductory book on Squeak. [8]Source code on the virtual machines. [2].The Scratch image that will not work on a modern Squeak virtual machine. [1]But will work on a virtual machine from a Squeakland Etoys release. [10]As you first expressed interest with how Scratch interfaces with the hardware you may need to join the VM-Beginners list [9].
[1] http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_Source_Code_Licensed_Code[2] http://squeakvm.org/index.html[3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqV3nGD9N7U[4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwmQ1DoEjsA[5] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGyfzw_gePo[6] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmTk9t71jZ4[7] http://ftp.squeak.org/2.8/[8] http://squeakbyexample.org/[9] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-beginners[10] http://www.squeakland.org/
Courtesy of Chris Cunnington; when I said I need to understand Scratch (get about its source code) and how does it interface with the hardware.