[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-fbs.548.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 21:14:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it is :) Pushing a bunch of changes in the same commit means that
> a reviewer has to think too hard about what feature the different
> changes belong to.

I don't disagree with that, except there is no feature here.  This
change is the smallest possible change, deletion of a single
punctuation character from a single class comment.  I think there is a
middle-ground between that and "a bunch of changes".

> If our infrastructure can't handle this kind of thing, we should fix
> the infrastructure.

Indeed, but our unscalable infrastructure is not the only "cost".
Committing the deletion of one character spawns off e-mails which are
reviewed by everyone.  IMO, spelling or punctuation errors should not
even be explained in any version comments because it's obvious it was
wrong before, and so forever carrying around an explnation of it
basically amounts to "filler" in terms of future value of such a
comment.  At some time in the future, if we need to go back through
the history changes made to the System package to understand some
obscure bug that may have cropped up, the interest will be in the
_code_ changes.   If there are a lot of "non-changes" intermixed into
the ancestry list, it's juicy value is somewhat diluted.

> Also, this particular change was just something I noticed in passing.

I'll try not to harp on this anymore.  We all have our way of working
and while I don't see our contribution process as "free," it is
relatively lean, but if _thinking_ of it as free encourages
contribution, then that is certainly preferable.