[squeak-dev] Dependencies on Cursor

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 19:04:41 UTC 2013

That's a somewhat self contradicting statement -- because:

   "the cursor was blinking fast between these states read/write/hour
glass/normal"

is chock full of information about the running program.  First, and
foremost, one would know the system is not locked up.  Indicating
reading vs. writing vs. processing is very useful with applications
that involve a lot of I/O, such as database or network applications.
By relating input actions to cursor status, the system can impart a
lot information about what it's doing.

By contrast, the Cuis approach of indicating busy on a timer confirms
to the waiting user something they already know -- that they're
waiting.  It tells them that the built-in timer to switch the cursor
is working, but nothing else about what the system is or isn't doing.

This should not be taken as a criticism of Cuis itself.  There's a lot
to like about Cuis.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Nicolas Cellier