[squeak-dev] Environments update

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Mon Mar 4 17:37:16 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> yeah.. but i would go even further: since you already sending a message,
> why
> not using a looked-up name as selector?
> <obj> Foo  -> gives binding of 'Foo' in environment.
> <obj> Foo: <value> -> sets the new value.

One of the goals with environments is to avoid syntactic or semantic
changes to the language. All existing code should run as-is, and still
benefit from the namespace isolation that we get from environments. Your
idea above seems feasible for a new language, but it breaks compatibility.

So I'll take this as a vote in favour of Eliot's idea—message send rather
than direct access, but preserving the existing syntax and semantics of
Smalltalk.

Thanks!

Colin