[squeak-dev] bug? / where is Squeak 4.4

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 20:45:57 UTC 2013

I am using Squeak 3.10 but am planning to port my code to Squeak 4.4 soon.
Today I discovered that method  ClassBuilder>>validateClassName:
aString   appears to expect a string as a parameter but in fact
requires a symbol.

e.g.   (ClassBuilder new validateClassName: 'Smalltalk') returns true.
But:   (ClassBuilder new validateClassName: #Smalltalk) generates a Warning:

                (Smalltalk already exists!
                Proceed will store over it.

                Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to
cancel the operation.)

The latter is correct although it is the caller of validateClassName:
that is going to do
the overwrite so (I think) it is inapproapriate for validateClassName:
to generate the warning.

Finally,  I find it odd that both

  (ClassBuilder new validateClassName: #Class)  returns true.
and
  (ClassBuilder new validateClassName: #NotClass) returns true.

Anyway, before reporting this as a bug, I decided to download Squeak 4.4 first
(in preparation for porting) and verify that the bug is there also.
But at www.squeak.org I only find Squeak  4.3.
So where do I find Squeak 4.4?

Finally,  where do I find instructions on how to report this bug (if
it exists in Squeak 4.4).

Regards,

Ralph Boland