[squeak-dev] How to use pool dictionaries in a workspace?

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Tue Mar 5 21:18:17 UTC 2013

>>> Although I wonder why one would go to the trouble. Why not just put the
>>> code in a method that can reference the pool normally?
>> One could say that about anything you might want to play with in a
>> workspace.
>I'm not opposed to workspaces, but when you are spending energy to make
>a workspace do what a class & method will already provide, seems like
>re-inventing the wheel.
>> As I said, I often work up code in a workspace and then copy it
>> to a method when I'm happy with it.  If I can't use pool references in the
>> workspace, I then have to change things when I want to make a real method.
>I don't understand this part. If you put it in a method from the start,
>then when it works, you're done.

I often have to play with objects (not so much in Squeak but in my VA
Smalltalk work) that would cause problems if I instantiated them in order
to test a new method.  Sometimes I can't even test them on my computer but
have to test them in production (they want to talk to some host that I
don't have access to).  If I instantiate them they start doing things I
don't want them to do and they interfere with the testing.  So, I can and
must do a lot in a workspace.  It may not be ideal but that's life.

Also, if you take a look at the posts between me and Bert about Minecraft,
you will see that Bert mentioned not being able to access pool values in a
workspace as a negative for using a pool dictionary.  Thanks to your
answer, everybody is happy:))

>Oh, any guesses what Thunderbird thinks your name really is? ;-)

No, but I can always use a good laugh:))

Lou