[squeak-dev] Seaside, Squeak4.4, SqueakMap and Metacello, or Why Software Configuration Management is Important (war: Re: [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3)

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Mar 6 16:53:33 UTC 2013

Am 06.03.2013 um 17:46 schrieb Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>:
>> […]
>>
>> At a certain point you have to ay where the code is to be found :)
>> In your install script, it is also hardcoded:
>>
>> Installer ss3
>>        project: 'Control';
>>        addPackage: 'Control-fbs.19';
>>        addPackage: 'ControlTests-fbs.15';
>>        install.
>>
>> In Metacello, you could specify multiple (possibly backup) repositories.
>>
>> But other than that, I agree with you :)
>
> Yes, but I don't expect Installer to do anything more: it's
> brain-dead.

The point with installer in the Metacello-case is
just to _retrieve_ the configuration. There is an upcoming
Metacello Scripting api [1], that turns the Metacello thing into:

Metacello new
	configuration: 'Control';
	squeaksource: 'Control';
	version: '1.0';
	load.

which would not depend on you fetching the configuration.

> Whereas with Metacello I did expect to have that clean
> separation like you do with Maven, where your profile - configuration
> - says where to get artifacts.

Doesn’t it?
It’s just the same with metacello, no?

Best