[squeak-dev] Seaside, Squeak4.4, SqueakMap and Metacello, or Why Software Configuration Management is Important (war: Re: [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:31:52 UTC 2013

>> What I wanted to depict is that there is a problem with the “install script”
>> driven approach to SqueakMap. I do not argue that SqueakMap is obsolete
>> nor a bad idea. I, however, want to argue that SqueakMap should embrace
>> Metacello.
>
> *Code* is where the rubber meets the road, not an object model -- the
> install-script approach to SM is what allows a
> catalog-of-doing-anything, not just "installing packages".  Also the

For example, we could/should have a "SqueakCore" package which does
not install anything just unloads packages and fixes-up the image's
object memory in special ways.  Another example might be to boot-strap
a Spoon system.

A catalog of boot-straps to other places.  An open canvas.  Smalltalk
script makes perfect sense for this.  Granted, most times it will mean
simply installing packages.