[squeak-dev] Cocoa or Carbon Interpreter VMs was Re: All-in-one VM for 4.4?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Mar 6 21:18:58 UTC 2013

Tobias Pape  wrote, in reply to me:

>>> I was under the impression, that 5.4.7.1 was the
>>> latest, recommended non-Cog VM for mac… go figure
>>
>> I think Bert has advised you correctly. My recollection is that the
>> "Cocoa Interpreter VM" line of development was abandoned in favour of
>> the Cog VM (I remember hearing that Xcode had some idiosyncrasies that
>> made it difficult to achieve quite the same level of quality as the
>> 'Carbon VM' but that isn't important now.) The 'Carbon VM' interpreter
>> Squeak 4.2.5beta1U.app as linked works fine in OS X.
>>
> Now I am quite puzzled. The sqMacMain.c of the Carbon VM states quite clearly:
>
> #error Hi, you are building an obsolete version of the macintosh VM.
> #error Instead use the xCode projects found in the iOS folder
> #error Remove these error defines if you really need to build this obsolete 4.x VM
>
> (as of SVN revision 2287)

Yes: that is right too. Don't build the Carbon VM again. I understand
the build isn't easy - I personally don't know if it builds with
current OS X tools.

The Cocoa Interpreter VM came from the iSqueak work and from what I
saw and heard, it is pretty good, and was always intended to replace
the Carbon VM. But up to now the community has distributed one blessed
Universal Carbon VM to the mass market, for the reasons already
discussed.

Hope that helps.
Have fun! David