[squeak-dev] Windows interpreter VM (was: All-in-one VM for 4.4?)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Mar 7 16:18:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 02:58:24PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Nobody built that Mac interpreter VM in ages. Current XCode doesn't even ship a PPC tool chain anymore, so you cannot easily build it even if you wanted. Same for the 5.4.x series really (which also is more than 2 years old).
>
> In short, there is no up-to-date interpreter VM for the Mac, indeed. Nor is there an official one for Windows, unless I'm mistaken. The only current ones are on Linux.

Regarding the Windows VM, Ian has built an up to date interpreter VM for
Windows and made it available through Andreas' squeakvm.org page here:

  http://squeakvm.org/win32/

This is fully up to date to the same level as the unix VM. It is marked
as a beta release that needs testing, so if any Windows users can please
give it a try, that would be very helpful.

The previous Windows builds are still available at http://squeakvm.org/win32/release,
but those older builds cannot be used with images saved from Cog. So barring
any problems that might arise in testing, the latest build provided by Ian
should now be the recommended version for Windows.

Until or unless we have an alternative plan for carrying on Andreas' work
in the trunk code base, I think we can safely treat this as an official
release.

Dave