[squeak-dev] Seaside, Squeak4.4, SqueakMap and Metacello, or Why Software Configuration Management is Important (war: Re: [Seaside] New catalog entry for Seaside 3.0.3)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 22:32:19 UTC 2013

On 7 March 2013 22:23, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
>> 2) It is not the simple case that there are just 2 releases, say development
>> and deployment, it is more like Feature selection, however this leads to
>> release explosion. I will now, just from memory try to recall possible combination
>> that in this scenario would qualify as an independent release:
>>
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, RSS
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, RSS
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, Email, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Base, Fcgi, RSS, Email, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, RSS
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, RSS
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Comanche, Fcgi, RSS, Email, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, RSS
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, Scriptatcoulus
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, jQuery
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, RSS, Email
>> • Seaside 3.0.3 Development, Fcgi, RSS, Scriptatcoulus
> [...]

Arg, I meant to say something yesterday. In Ruby, the big web
framework is Rails. It has oodles of add-ons that someone might want.
They package all these bits and bobs in separate gems. Want jQuery?
Install jquery-rails. So for Seaside, ConfigurationOfSeaside installs
just the core; if you want Scriptaculous, install
ConfigurationOfScriptaculous, and so on. Each of these will, thanks to
the magic of Metacello, fail to reinstall the base Seaside because
it's already there, and install the extra widget you need.

frank