[Box-Admins] Re: [squeak-dev] Updating the website (was :Squeak 4.4 download link on squeak.org home page?)

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Sat Mar 9 00:50:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM, radoslav hodnicak <rh at 4096.sk> wrote:

> I know it's a question of pride to have the homepage of a programming
> language done in said language but these cycles of "rewrite in technology
> X/abandonment/how do we update the site again?" are pretty silly. Is the
> anything on the website that's actually benefiting from having a smalltalk
> implementation? Why not just slap a wordpress or any of the zillion
> externally maintained cms systems on the server and be done with it? It
> should be the content that counts.

So you're saying that instead of rewriting it in Smalltalk, we should
rewrite it in PHP?

Bear in mind that it isn't just a bunch of static pages—it's not hugely
sophisticated, but it's not trivial either. No matter what we do, it'll
take some time and effort to update and maintain. Personally I'd rather do
that work in a language  that doesn't make my eyes bleed. Perhaps the web
team feels the same.

Colin