[squeak-dev] Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 04:42:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> <huge snip>
>
> Implement a usable touch-interface for Etoys.
>
> - Bert -

Oh! Heart-strings! Yes, this needs to be done. I can probably even do it...
you know I spent a few weeks racking my brain about what if anything I
could do to improve Etoys before I sent out the call for ideas, and I drew
a blank. One thought I rejected was rebasing it off of Trunk, which I threw
out because I know there's already an effort underway, and the scope of the
work is more broad than I'm comfortable with.

When I was playing with Etoys on the iPad, one thing I really felt needed
to change was the way the keyboard was shown and hidden. I didn't like
anything I came up with. I'm nearly convinced that we need a soft keyboard
that's implemented in Smalltalk -- it doesn't feel right that this
intrinsic part is not made out of the same stuff as everything else -- but
that's not a small task. There's a whole dictionary of autocompletion you
need, and it has to be fuzzy, to try to guess what the user tried to type
based on the probability that it matches a particular term.

I wonder if I could hijack some of the logic from OCompletion/ECompletion.

I might actually narrow the scope to just the keyboard.

Either way, this one is definitely in the running. Thanks for the idea,
Bert!

--
Casey Ransberger