[squeak-dev] [ANN] Minecraft Bindings

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Mon Mar 11 22:27:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 23:15:08 +0100, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
wrote:

>On 2013-03-11, at 14:33, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:
>
>>> Yes, it's uploaded. Any reason you created new packages, instead of putting the constants into Base and the example into Demo? I don't see the need for having to load 4 packages ...
>>
>> No particular reason.  I'm still getting use to the proper protocols of
>> donating code.
>

>Ah. It's not about donating code, but about developing collaboratively. You take something, improve it, and give it back :)

Okay, when I get some time I will do as you suggest below.

>So in this particular case, you would just move your MinecraftConstants class into the "Minecraft-Pi-Base" category and save a new version of the  "Minecraft-Pi-Base" package (likely  "Minecraft-Pi-Base-LL.3") into our minecraft repository.
>
>And you would not add an extra demo class, but just modify my rainbow example method to use the new constants. Then save a new version of "Minecraft-Pi-Demo".
>
>Btw, if you put your login details into Monticello, squeaksource3 will list you as author. Looks nicer than "anonymous" :)
>
>If you log in to ss3 then you can delete the other packages so only the Base and Demo packages remain.
>
>On the weekend my son and his friend successfully joined the Minecraft world running on the Pi with their iPods. So while they were playing I could place blocks, transport the players to other places etc. from my Squeak image. It's also how I noticed the #playerIds method didn't work correctly, because that was the first time the number of players was larger than 1 (fix committed).

>Did you do anything else cool with Minecraft?

Not yet.  My son Alex is the one who plays a lot.  We are talking about
building a room (with stairs) from Squeak that could be stacked up to make
a building but haven't tried yet.

Lou