Environment-caused SyntaxError running build scripts (was Re: [squeak-dev] error when updating Squeak4.4-12327 to trunk)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 12 10:17:30 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-12, at 02:26, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No.  Its arguably a bug but a binding will print itself as the Symbol key.  So what's happening is that the binding for DateAndTime is printing itself as #DateAndTime.  So the problem is that the Decompiler is not mapping the sequence pushLiteral: aBinding, send #value back into an appropriate LiteralVariableNode instance.  The Decompiler needs to special-case this.
>>
> Yeah, that should probably be fixed. The new Alias bindings will generate #value sends, which I don't think we've used before. (We've used #value: for assignment to globals, but not #value for reads.)

Isn't #value too general to serve as a specially treated token in the decompiler? It might easily appear in code.

I'd think it would be better if the compiler emitted a unique message selector that the decompiler could reliably recognize. Maybe #pvtValue, which cannot be used in regular code anyway?

- Bert -