[squeak-dev] lowSpaceWatcher problems

Bob Arning arning315 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 12 11:03:59 UTC 2013

You can always construct something in Smalltalk to do more of what you want:

makeSpy

     | memoryEnd params |

     spy _ [
         [pig isTerminated] whileFalse: [
             params := Smalltalk getVMParameters.
             memoryEnd            := params at: 3.
             memoryEnd > 400000000 ifTrue: [
                 Processor remove: pig ifAbsent: [self halt].
                 pig debugWithTitle: 'Interrupted from SpaceSpy'.
                 self halt.
             ].
             (Delay forMilliseconds: 60) wait.
         ].
         'The pig was terminated ',Time now asString,'   ' displayAt: 0 at 20.
     ] newProcess.
     spy priority: 45; resume.

In this case, as long as the suspect process is running, the spy checks
periodically for above-normal memory use, terminating the pig when reached.

Cheers,
Bob