[squeak-dev] Failing tests on CI

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 17:30:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 13 March 2013 22:41, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Nicolas Cellier
> > <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> It seems that this one would pass after a Compiler recompileAll, maybe
> >> we should add some postInstall action somewhere after environments
> >> changes...
> >

> > Yes, but a simple recompile will result in lots of unbound methods.  We
> need
> > to do something more principled that I thought ReleaseBuilder did.
>  Frank,
> > you were working on this right?
>
> Yes, but this is _before_ the ReleaseBuilderFor4dot5 kicks in. The
> tests are failing in the SqueakTrunk job, and it's only
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk that does all this (specifically, `Compile
> recompileAll`). And of course it's a one-way trip;
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk's artifact isn't fed back into SqueakTrunk. (And it
> shouldn't, because ReleaseSqueakTrunk is supposed to take an
> ever-shrinking trunk core and add expected goodies to produce a
> standard image.)
>
> Er, unless I miss the point: are you asking if we do any better than
> `Compiler recompileAll`?

No.  I'm saying that if an update causes the need for a recompilation then
we need to do better than Compiler recompileAll because the naive Compiler
recompileAll creates lots of unbound methods.  We need to follow Compiler
recompileAll with the relevant release magic to restart processes holding
onto now obsolete methods etc.  So that release magic ought to be in the
base image as a facility.  e.g. Smalltalk recompileAll might be much
smarter than Compiler recompileAll.

--
best,
Eliot