[squeak-dev] Corrupted sources file = big trouble

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Fri Mar 15 14:36:54 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-15, at 3:10 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I freely confess: I should not have deleted the directory from
> which I was running an image. When I saved the image, the image still
> worked, but of course its changes file was broken.
>
> I now have a few tens of hours of work in an image that I need to
> extract only the following techniques all fail:
> * filing out the class
> * making a new changeset and filing that out
> * saving the package through MC
> * deleting the corrupted changes file
>
> So one option that I don't particularly want to do is to open a new
> image and hand cut-n-paste (via emacs, because on Linux the line
> endings get messed up copying between Squeak images directly), method
> by method, the source.
>
> Is there an easier way of recovering from this mess?

If the image is still running (ie, you haven't shut it down since
deleting the directory) it may still have an open file descriptor for
the changes file, even though the directory entry is gone. If so, you
could write a DoIt to copy the contents to another file.

Otherwise, you'll have to rely on the decompiler.