[squeak-dev] Squeak GSoC ideas wanted: "Squeak Web browser Plugin"

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Tue Mar 26 16:46:16 UTC 2013

Here's an idea. If you think this is a viable idea for students, please enhance what I have already entered.

========

   Title:
Squeak Web browser Plugin for Major Browsers

   Level:
Intermediate to Advanced

   Possible mentor: (if already known)

   Possible second mentor: (if already known)

The goal is to make Squeak accessible within major web browsers.
Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome/Chromium are two open-source
browsers that should be targeted/tested. Safari, IE and Opera would be
nice to have, and strongly encouraged.

   Technical Details:
The current plugin code could be a good start.

   Benefits to the Student:
Learn or enhance knowledge of web browser plugins for major browsers.
Requires student to learn techniques to interface two different products
(squeak and a web browser) - each that maintain their own unique characteristics.
Helps student be more attractive for Internet-based technical employment.

   Benefits to the Community
A Squeak plugin breaks the Page-Bound barrier of traditional HTML/JS/PHP generated content.
Current Squeak applications could be easily adapted and utilized by users almost immediately.
Allows new web apps to be created using powerful built-in Squeak tools.
Could elevate the marketability of Squeak and may proliferate it's use.

========