[squeak-dev] Reimplementing CI with Rake: status report

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 17:22:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:18 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

> I got fed up really quickly with writing shell scripts, so I started
> an experiment to use Ruby's Rake to run tests.
> https://travis-ci.org/frankshearar/squeak-ci/builds/5835209 shows the
> latest build, which
> * builds a custom Interpreter VM (because the CI runs on several
> unsupported platforms - CentOS on build.squeak.org (unsupported
> because it uses an ancient glibc) and Travis (unsupported because it's
> an x86_64 platform)),

are you sure?  I build my Cog linux machines on CentOS 5.3.  The linux VMs
run on 64-bit linuxes that have the 32-bit libraries installed (and they're
easy to install)

> * use Cog if available,
> * prepare a test image (update the image under test, load the
> HudsonBuildTools),
> * and then run a bunch of external packages on a copy of the updated image.
>
> In particular, we run AndreasSystemProfiler, Control, FFI, Nebraska,
> Nutcracker, OSProcess, Quaternion, Phexample, RoelTyper, SqueakCheck,
> Universes, WebClient, XML-Parser and Zippers against each of Squeak
> 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5. You can run this same build script on multiple
> platforms: CentOS, Ubuntu 10.04, whatever Travis is running, Windows
> 7. It ought to work anywhere that Ruby works and the code compiles. I
> haven't tested it on OS X yet, and it almost certainly won't work on
> FreeBSD because the Interpreter doesn't compile there [1].
>
> I still use the old shell scripts for the SqueakTrunk and
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk jobs, but these could be replaced with Rake, simply
> by running `rake release` instead of `rake test`.
>
> frank
>
> [1] http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnInterpreterFreeBSD/18/console
> shows an issue with libuuid (of course). This particular problem's
> been solved on the Cog branch, but Eliot and I have yet to get Cog
> compiling on FreeBSD (for other reasons).

Yes, must find time to get back to this.  We need to find a FreeBSD kernel
developer who understands the sigcontext issues.

--
best,
Eliot