[squeak-dev] [ANN] Fuel Release Version 1.9

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 21:55:59 UTC 2013

On 29.03.2013, at 22:12, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 March 2013 01:26, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Martin Dias wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We are happy to announce Fuel 1.9.
>>>
>>> Fuel is an open-source general-purpose object serialization
>>> framework developed in Pharo. You can find more information on our website
>>> [1].
>>>
>>> The default set of packages of this version already comes in Pharo 2.0, so
>>> you it's not necessary to install it there. However, Fuel also works
>>> out-of-the-box in Pharo from 1.1 up to 2.0, as well as in Squeak 4.1 up to
>>> 4.4. You can see our documentation [2] for complete installation and use
>>> guides.
>>
>> Fuel is a very nice piece of work and I appreciate the effort to support Squeak.
>> Good design, good implementation, good documentation, what's not to like :-)
>
> Seconded! I added a new 1.9 release to SqueakMap. It loads cleanly
> into 4.3 and 4.4, and all tests pass. (And there are CI jobs to make
> sure things stay that way.)

Wow! That's awesome! Do the CI jobs load Fuel bleeding edge? We've been discussing builds for Squeak for a while now and it would be truly great if we could immediately see the effects of our dev changes on the Squeak platforms (it's a lot of effort to discover and fix that later).

> Thank you very much, Martin, Mariano and Max!

Our pleasure :)

By the way: at the moment we have support packages also for 4.1 and 4.2. Do you think it would be ok to drop support for those two versions with the next release?

Max