[squeak-dev] Our ancient ancestor

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed May 1 19:08:24 UTC 2013

On 01-05-2013, at 11:58 AM, "H. Hirzel" <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> And the wide bodied Alto had 512kB of memory = 1/2 MB, right?
>
> RaspberryPi has a thousand times more.
>
> So Squeak _should_ run on it properly... Does it?

It certainly runs 'properly'. The raw performance (currently with the plain interpreter, stackvm coming soon and Cog sometime) is rather good at around 40mbc/s & 1.4msends/s, which is probably around 400 times faster than an Alto. Morphic UI performance is not so good but that is mostly because it's terrible on *all* machines with current high-end Macs etc managing to cover it up with brute power. Run an older image - say 2.8 era - and consider how we have managed to ruin the UI speed. Try an old image on a Pi and be amazed.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. = I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.