[squeak-dev] ReleaseBuilder* -> 45Deprecated?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu May 2 20:44:19 UTC 2013

I've come to the conclusion that having a whole swathe of
ReleaseBuilders is wrong. Mostly this comes down to:
* there is no way of knowing (without a lot of testing) that your
ReleaseBuilderForSpecialCircumstances still works after that trivial
refactoring you just did to ReleaseBuilder, and just as importantly,
* who would want to make a 4.4 release (or 4.3, or 3.11, or 3.10!)
from a 4.5 image?

There's a slight argument in the case of ReleaseBuilderNihongo and
ReleaseBuilderSqueakland, but I'd argue that these too don't belong in
_trunk_.

So I would like to turn ReleaseBuilderFor4dot5 into the one and only
ReleaseBuilder, delete the old 3.11-4.4 builders, and put
ReleaseBuilder(Nihongo|Squeakland) into a separate package, loaded in
during the release process but otherwise not in Trunk. (In other
words, they go the same route as XML-Parser, Universes and so on.)

Thoughts? Comments?

frank