Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] High-Level Musical Concepts in µO

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Tue May 14 12:10:33 UTC 2013

Hi Stef,

This release, particularly when paired with the paper you wrote, is pretty
phenomenal. I think that music is one of the best ways to teach and learn
math, in that visceral way where one feels and cares about it. I think the
work you've done has been instrumental in terms of the "curriculum of
simulated systems" which is an important part of that Dynabook vision
thing, or whatever shape it needs now.

Music education programs are getting cut like *crazy* around here right
now. It's a travesty. The one form of math that everyone who can hear will
feel viscerally, if they just pay attention to it, 86'd in favour of sports.

This is really cool, and as both a musician and a fan of music: thanks for
getting it done.

Cheers!

Casey

P.S.

I loathe working digitally with music, and so this is about the highest
praise you can get from me. I'm trying to convince my band to record to
tape and then do only the mixdown digitally, I mean I'm a total musical
luddite!

--
Casey Ransberger