[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-fbs.529.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue May 14 15:03:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-14, at 12:13, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 May 2013 22:09,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
>> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-fbs.529.mcz

>> Name: System-fbs.529
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 13 May 2013, 10:09:14.405 pm
>> UUID: 2ba98257-9342-4eee-a927-a0c3d6deaf41
>> Ancestors: System-fbs.528
>>
>> Another tiny step in breaking the System -> MorphicExtras dependency. Locale class>>migrateSystem moves to MorphicExtras because, while it refers to other packages as well, MorphicExtras form the largest minority of package references.
>>
>> =============== Diff against System-fbs.528 ===============
>>
> <snip>
>> Item was removed:
>> - ----- Method: Utilities class>>scrapsBook (in category 'scraps') -----
>
> I realised this morning that this particular change is insufficient.
> There are a cluster of methods - the entire 'scraps' category - that
> ought to move to MorphicExtras [1]. That, too, is insufficient,
> because these methods all use the ScrapsBook class var. I propose to
> create a new class, ScrapsBook, in MorphicExtras, that implement
> versions of these methods. "Versions" because ScrapsBook will be a
> normal class holding an instvar named 'book'. ScrapsBook default will
> return a lazily instantiated canonical ScrapsBook, and the existing
> Utilities class methods in 'scraps' will simply delegate to this.
>
> That at least centralises the access to the ScrapsBook. I don't know
> how the ScrapsBook relates to the rest of the image, so I don't know
> how to fix the broader issue. In other words, System will still depend
> on MorphicExtras, but through an instance of a class, rather than
> through a class var.
>
> Thoughts? Particularly, how do I test that I haven't smashed anything
> before even bothering to submit something to the Inbox?
>
> frank
>
> [1] Because it uses a BookMorph. This, sadly, makes Morphic depend
> that little bit more on MorphicExtras. The solution to that would be
> moving BookMorph and friends to Morph, which seems undesirable.

This is the Morphic trash can. Get it from the Object Catalog's "useful" category. Enable the preserveTrash preference, and the slideDismissalsToTrash pref too, for visual feedback.

Now morphs that you delete via the pink halo handle get moved to the trash. Double-click the trash can to open the scraps book.

- Bert -