[squeak-dev] Re: MC should really write snaphsot/source.st in UTF8

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed May 22 22:12:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Nicolas Cellier
> First thing would be to simplify #setConverterForCode and
> #selectTextConverterForCode.
> Do we still want to use a MacRomanTextConverter, seriously? I'm not even
> sure I've got that many files with that encoding on my Mac-OSX...
> Do we really need to put a ByteOrderMark for UTF-8, seriously? See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark, it's valueless, and not
> recommended. It were a Squeak way to specify that a Squeak source file would
> use UTF-8 rather than MacRoman, but now this should be obsolescent.

Old code was certainly in MacRoman, and quite a few used middle dot,
accented chars and other characters in the right half of the character
chart.

Monticello surely should use UTF-8.  I'd think, though, it should keep
BOM; did you encounter any problems?  (it is not recommended, but it
is permitted.)

--
-- Yoshiki