[squeak-dev] FileSystem

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri May 24 16:49:36 UTC 2013

On 24-05-2013, at 1:58 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I have a pair of questions:
> * how far have wiresong's FileSystem and Pharo's FileSystem diverged?
> (And how do we bring the two back together again, if necessary?)
> * How do we fix the problem?

Without even knowing anything specifically  about FileSystem I would claim a very high likelihood that it is better than the old code, because:-
Colin wrote at least a  good chunk of it
it was written recently
with experience of just how awful FileDirectory et al have become over years of largely unprincipled hacking

And thus I would strongly suggest it in with a chance of being an improvement. My only caveat would be that I feel reasonably sure it was not written with much of an eye to 'odd' filing systems like RISC OS and thus it may need a bit more work to drag it away from the depressingly mono-cultural ersatz-unix-style that seems to have pervaded the world. I wouldn't mind if were actually a good style...

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 4) "This machine is a piece of GAGH! I need dual ARMv8 processors if I am to do battle with  this code!"