[squeak-dev] what is Smalltalk?

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Fri May 24 21:28:01 UTC 2013

Sorry about the slow reply. I assumed the best intentions (hence the smiley
face) but wanted to make sure folks knew there was more than one
contributor (we have a whole list.)

As for your "Fermi barrier of complexity" well. I don't know exactly how
you intended this metaphor.

We can look at some of the more obvious numbers (number of classes, number
of methods per class, etc) and compare/contrast with other dialects, but I
think I can safely say that we're not doing too bad so far. Experience thus
far has shown that most things port to Cuis pretty cleanly, though the UI
usually has to be rewritten, and often convenience methods need to be
brought over, etc. While there are some features that we've (temporarily)
yanked because we wanted to get rid of crufty code and/or code that doesn't
grok a zoomable UI, Cuis is otherwise a very reliable and consistent system
with people who will often supply support just for good sport.

More importantly, I think, is that Cuis folks want to be a part of the
Squeak community. We're a *distribution*.

Anyhoo, I figured I'd look at some numbers here. Someone should correct my
incantations here, because these numbers are just too good to believe! I
must be doing something wrong.

So I'm tallying classes and traits in Squeak and Pharo with:

Smalltalk allClassesAndTraits size

...and in Cuis, since we don't have Traits, with:

Smalltalk allClasses size

I realize that Traits aren't exactly classes, and that this is overall a
relatively weak single metric for complexity, but just to show the
difference in magnitude, please bear with me. FWIW, Pharo, which uses
Traits extensively, only has  85 of them AFAICT, so they shouldn't skew the
numbers too much.

Squeak 4.4:   2148
Pharo 2.0:      3301
Cuis 4.1:         655

I think just from that it's easy to see the signal:noise ratio in Cuis, but
of course there's plenty of room for a deeper study and more metrics
(cyclomatic complexity, etcetera.) One useful insight might be: Squeak's
core should be able to get as small or nearly as small as Cuis is now (at
*least.*) I think this is good news all around.

--
Casey Ransberger