[squeak-dev] RE: Slow drawing update on OpenBSD

Ken Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Tue May 28 15:33:19 UTC 2013

> Can you briefly describe the problem (sorry I don't know what "auto-move" means)?

DisplayObject>>slideFrom:to:nSteps:delay:

Has a timer, but the wakeup is delayed.

 (Delay forMilliseconds: milliSecs) wait.

The timer expires, but the VM does not get the CPU back immediately.

Moving the cursor sends mouse events, which do wake up the VM.  So moving images are glacially slow unless one moves the cursor around.

It has been over a decade since I looked seriously at C code, so poking around will take me a while.

Early Squeak had this problem on Linux, but it got repaired a long time ago.

I am hoping someone has a better memory of this than I do.

Thanks again,
-KenD
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com