[squeak-dev] Vector Graphics (was: Pi performance fun)

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Tue May 28 20:56:02 UTC 2013

<inline>

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Jeff Gonis <jeff.gonis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,

<snip>

> So my gut would say that there are two choices before us: Adopt the
> work that Pharo is doing with Athens, or go with the VPRI Gezira work.
>  Below is a list of (IMO) pros and cons for each approach.  I would be
> curious what other people think.
>
> Pros for Athens:
> - Relies on Cairo which is developed by a large outside group

Actually, Athens is designed to support multiple backends.   Sure, it is
currently be developed primarily to use Cairo, but it isn't tied to Cairo.
 (There's been talk of OpenGL, Balloon, and others, for instance.)

That said, I haven't used it yet myself - and certainly not in one of the
alternate back-ends.

-Chris