[squeak-dev] minutes, servers, restarts, and websites

Chris Cunnington websela at yahoo.com
Thu May 30 05:37:39 UTC 2013

The SOB has not posted minutes on its blog for three months. Even for
Squeak that is too much. Craig, that is your failure.

Squeak took possession of two new servers from the Software Freedom
Conservancy: box3; and, box4, which is unused. The community pays 27 (?)
Euro a month for box2, which is obsolete and cannot run Cog. box2 has
gone down twice in the past ten weeks. It takes me sixty seconds to log
in and restart it, but even still.

It would be good to move to box4. That means Ken Causey has to prep it.
He has taken all the keys into his hands for that, so it's up to him. Or
not. Nothing has happened since last year.

The era of the Aida homepage should come to an end. If you want the
technical details [5]. I created a prototype with Altitude that was well
received and the community could proceed from there. There's no point in
putting it on box2, so this would have to wait for box4.

If the community wants a new, updated Aida homepage, I'm all for it. But
I'm also not  the person for that job. The only person who tried harder
solving this problem than me was Herbert Konig. He gave it a real shot
last year.

I suppose this conversation should be on the webteam list, but I'm not a
member, can't add myself, and Janko takes forever adding people. I
believe Colin's still waiting.

Everything I just said is a fact.

Chris

[1]

Installer ss project: 'SPort';
     install: 'Sport'.
Installer ss project: 'Swazoo';
     install: 'Swazoo'.
Installer ss project: 'Aida';
     install: 'Aida6.1'.
SwazooAida demoStart

[2]
http://www.squeaksource.com/Scribo

[3]
http://www.osrcon.ca/SqueakSite-janko.18.mcz

[4]
http://ftp.eranova.si/aida/Aida6.5Pharo1.4summer-4jan13.zip

[5]

I just spent hours trying to make some semblance of Aida, Scribo,
Swazoo, SPort, and SqueakSite-janko.18.mcz work. Of course, I cannot get
any of these things from http://mc.aidaweb.si, because its down and I
think has been for some time. I logged into box2, locate'd a copy from a
backup, found SqueakSite-janko.18.mcz, copied it to my directory, and
then to my desktop.

I created some installer scripts from SqueakSource [1]. Then you can go
to the Scribo repo on SqueakSource [2]. Then try loading in
SqueakSite-janko.18.mcz [3]. It's an odd experience. I mean, even if you
manage to calibrate a version of Scribo into a Squeak with a version of
Aida, the links to the Scribo plugin examples go nowhere. Nothing. I
feel trying to put these pieces together is in vain. They don't fit.

Janko suggested several months that we should pickup with the plan of
June 2012 and proceed to update SqueakSite in an updated version of
Squeak. OK, sounds good on paper. But it has been a year with no
progress at all. None. And the kicker for me is that if you download his
all-in-zip [4] and wait half an hour for all 100  M download, it unpacks
to 300+ M, you click on it, and it ask you for the virtual machine.
Hmmm...aren't you the all-in-one? The aida.image alone is 200 M. I mean
I figured that it must work with Pharo...right? Right? Nope.