[squeak-dev] re: A Bounty for CMake-ifying stack/Cog vm build process

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 23:18:37 UTC 2013

On 7 November 2013 22:50, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Wait, why are we talking about deploying a Squeak application here?
>> We're talking about taking a blank machine and being able to build a
>> Squeak VM on it.
>>
>> Tim's saying that you can't drive a C compiler from within the image
>> on a machine for which no VM has ever been built, because there is no
>> VM. ("Machine" here means a machine architecture, rather than, say, a
>> fresh Ubuntu install.) You need a bootstrap. And
>> configure/cmake/whatever happens to provide a very easy way to
>> bootstrap to the first VM that can run an image that _can_ drive a C
>> compiler to build the next gen VM.
>>

> Hm, ok.  That's a pretty rarely-occurring event to be putting a lot
> thought into a framework for.  I'm doubtful such a framework would ever
> "work the first time" on new platforms.
>
> For building deployable packages on existing platforms, Igors words really
> resonated with me.  I'll butt out now.  :)

Thanks for supportive words :)

For android, which does not supported by cmake Dimiry Golubovsky just
managed to do it in a way how it can work: he wrote a configuration (in
smalltalk)
which generates files which compatible with android build infrastructure.
I don't know the details, but you can always look at
CMakeVMMaker-Android category in CMakeVMMaker package.

That means two things:
  - CMakeVMMaker despite its name actually does not means 'cmake only'.
  -  the guy with little knowledge of android nuances (like me),
     can easily pick up this work and modify it in case of need.

What else i can say?
If people for some reason don't like it, it would be stupid to force it
upon them.
The thing is there, open source, and everyone is welcome to use or abuse it.

So, if you don't like it, you're free to write own..
I informed that same work been done (and it works, works well).
so rather than starting from scratch, i would twink twice, because i could
take
what's already done as a starting point and improve or change it (if i
don't like something).
So the decision whether to use it or write own from scratch is up to you,
people.
I'm out.

--
Best regards,