Modular != minimal (was Re: [squeak-dev] Loading FFI is broken)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Nov 15 01:27:01 UTC 2013

(Various attributions probably screwed up by me using a soft keyboard. Please don't be offended )

>> Because otherwise "so what" if FFI includes the constants and VMMaker
>> depends on it solely for that portion of it?  How many methods making
>> up FFI are we talking about?  There are plenty of _other_ methods in
>> the image which are not being used by VMMaker, what about them?

In some cases it won't matter but in others it may be rather important. FFI is an example where I think it is important to be able have only the constants parcel added to vmmaker. Likewise for FreeType constants, where it is very obvious that adding the entire package can be problematic on occasion.

Ideally the packaging system ought to be able to deal with single method packages and bundling them as required for specific needs. I'm not arguing that that is necessarily a good way to do it but the mechanism ought to make possible. Why would it matter to the loader whether the thing being loaded is a single file of a gazillion methods or a gazillion files of one method?

tim