[squeak-dev] Byte 1981 online version

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Thu Nov 21 15:56:51 UTC 2013

Hi Tim,

Thanks for sharing.  I'm sure I had this issue but it is long gone.

>On 20-11-2013, at 4:06 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>> I think I like the advertisements in this issue as much as anything. You
>> have to love the guy with the cutting-edge portable (sic) Osborne computer,
>> armed to the teeth with SUPERCALC(r) and WORDSTAR(r), and striding purposefully
>> into the future alongside an ordinary business person type guy armed only
>> with an old-fashioned leather briefcase.
>
>Me too. I especially like the two adverts for memory cards - fabulous, huge, fast memory expansion! 64Kb! Only $995! Now the kids complain about being limited to a pathetic little 4Gb and how that makes machine X useless.
>tim

In the early to mid 70's I worked for a company that sold VM/CMS
timesharing on an IBM 350/158 (could have been 360, I can't remember for
sure) with 1 meg of ram.  It needed more memory but an additional 1 meg
cost $500.000.  That's right, 50 cents a byte.  Times have changed.

Lou

P.S.  Tim, I love reading your posts and I agree with 99% of what you have
to say.  We differ on little/big endian and I don't think I would be as big
a fan of RISC OS as you.  My early days of assembler language programming
(that I loved at the time) have left me with little love for doing things
the hard way.  Anyway, keep up the great work with the Raspberry and your
posts.