[squeak-dev] LRUCache to Balloon?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Nov 22 18:52:28 UTC 2013

On 22-11-2013, at 10:34 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

>> Bingo! :) But seriously, why do you even care about the number of
> packages in the image?
>>

> Because package categories exist for the benefit of human beings who want
> to be able to read and understand the system.

Something needs to be human readable but I’m not sure it is the part that lists what is in the package. What would be wrong with human-packages having nothing but a list of dependencies on other tiny packages as small as as single method? That’s sorta-kind what Spoon does, for example.

Why not a huge Magma db with all the methods (etc) dumped in and packages that consist of the web of methods (etc) needed? Some packages would point to others as well. The ‘typical system’ package would point to all the usual suspects and result in a… typical image.

tim
A "politically savvy challenge to evolution" is as self-evidently ridiculous as an agriculturally savvy challenge to euclidean geometry