[squeak-dev] The Trunk: MonticelloConfigurations-fbs.118.mcz

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Nov 27 08:33:26 UTC 2013

On 27.11.2013, at 01:15, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Florin,
>

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Florin Mateoc <florin.mateoc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> On 11/22/2013 11:09 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
> > I'd rather waste an entire class and kill Utilities, than have
> > Utilities continually stick a spanner in the more important objective
> > of modularity.
> >
> > First Utilities, then the world!
> >
> > frank
>
> I think overrides (a la VW, but they could be done even better)
>
> +1.  I was the guilty party that f**ed up the implementation of the VW ones (but then it was my idea also).  See http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-January/142760.html for a better approach to implementation.  Does it make sense to you?

There is code mentioned in that reference.
I would love to see something there :)

A good overriding (or shall we say method shadowing?) system
would ease transitions in the trunk enormously, I would say.
_Then_ we could define Some minimal packages (say the Core),
which other, more sophisticated packages can override/shadow
(say, Kernel, Objects[not yet existent], Collections)

Best
	-Tobias