[squeak-dev] Stack VM = Squeak VM?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 16:47:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013, gettimothy wrote:
>
>  I am confused as to what the term 'Stack VM' refers to.
>>

> "The StackInterpreter is an intermediate step after closures and before
> the JIT to ensure steady progress and on-time delivery of a substantially
> faster VM. The essential point, of course, is that a stack organization
> suits the use of native call and return instructions whose use, along with
> in-line cacheing techniques, substantially improve send and return
> performance." - http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/2009/01/14/under-
> cover-contexts-and-the-big-frame-up/
>
> I would say it's a CogVM without a JIT.

Exactly.  Another way of saying it is that the StackVM is an interpreter
that doesn't use contexts.  Instead it uses stack frames, much like a
conventional language implementation.  And remember "doesn't use contexts"
doesn't mean "doesn't have contexts"; instead context objects are created
when the program asks for them instead of on every send.  The StackVM's
performance is about 1.5x the Context Interpreter VM.  The Cog VM is about
5x the Context Interpreter VM.

Levente

--
best,