[squeak-dev] A Bounty for CMake-ifying stack/Cog vm build process

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Fri Nov 29 01:47:25 UTC 2013

While upgrading my Slackware to 14.1 so I could install Bochs and re-compiling my apps I saw that esr's gpsd requires something called scons for  its build system:

http://www.scons.org

Here is an example from the docs:

 Here's the famous "Hello, World!" program in C:
 int main() { printf("Hello, world!\n"); }  And here's how to build it using SCons. Enter the following into a file named SConstruct:
 Program('hello.c')  This minimal configuration file gives SCons two pieces of information: what you want to build (an executable program), and the input file from which you want it built (the hello.c file). Program is a builder_method, a Python call that tells SCons that you want to build an executable program.
 That's it. Now run the scons command to build the program. On a POSIX-compliant system like Linux or UNIX, you'll see something like:
 % scons scons: Reading SConscript files ... scons: done reading SConscript files. scons: Building targets ... cc -o hello.o -c hello.c cc -o hello hello.o scons: done building targets.  On a Windows system with the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler, you'll see something like:
 C:\>scons scons: Reading SConscript files ... scons: done reading SConscript files. scons: Building targets ... cl /Fohello.obj /c hello.c /nologo link /nologo /OUT:hello.exe hello.obj embedManifestExeCheck(target, source, env) scons: done building targets.
Has anybody poked around this thing?

tty