[squeak-dev] would it be fun to implement Squeak on this hardware?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Nov 29 21:50:05 UTC 2013

On 29-11-2013, at 1:18 PM, Doug Jones <djsdl at frombob.to> wrote:

> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/214379695/micro-python-python-for-microcontrollers
>

>> The microcontroller is clocked at 168MHz and has 1MiB flash and 192KiB RAM, which is plenty for writing complex Python scripts.
Umm, not really. That’s a bit tight, rather slow, and likely to disappoint. At least, for anything we currently think of as Squeak. Now, a simple (it would have to be very simple to save space) vm running a tiny Spoon based image *might* be possible and even useful. The smallest machine I’ve ever run a ‘normal’ Smalltalk system on was the Active Book, which had a whole 1Mb or Ram, though that did have to serve the OS, provide the screen buffer, and host a Fax storage filing system. And it *was* only a 8MHz ARM2 cpu.

tim
Calm down -- it's only ones and zeros.