[squeak-dev] More old updates uncovered

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Oct 2 14:59:37 UTC 2013

Bob,

> I have found a zip of updates back to the beginning of time, e.g.:
>
> ========001tk_test.doit========
>
> "Just a test if the update broadcasting is working"
> Transcript show: '  You got an external update'; cr.!
>
> =======002tk_collaspe_RF.cs=========
>
> 'From Squeak 1.31 of Feb 4, 1998 on 8 May 1998 at 4:31:32 pm'!

certainly the beginning of the upates! This is a good find.

For the relicensing project, however, I had to go way before that all
the way to 1996 and version 1.1. I think it was version 1.2 that
introduced author initials (I would have to check my notes), so before
that the methods don't have individual time stamps and only some have
authorship information in the comment.

In the first few versions people would just send code to this list and
Dan Ingalls would copy/paste the most interesting stuff into his system
for the next release. This had the side effect of lots of methods with
the initials "di" when that feature was introduced that really had been
created by other people. It was possible to trace back each method to
the email where it first appeared, however, and so find out the real
author for the purpose of relicensing. It would be an interesting
project to convert that early data into something browsable, but it
would need to be someone with way too much time on their hands :-)

-- Jecel