[squeak-dev] running old images

J. Vuletich (mail lists) juanlists at jvuletich.org
Wed Oct 2 23:15:42 UTC 2013

Hi Bob,

I just tried Squeak 1.1, 1.31, 2.0, 2.1 and 2.5 in my Windows 7 32 bit machine. All of them run perfectly fine with an appropriate VM (from about the time the image was released). I think any Squeak ever released should run in Windows.

I usually don't advocate any platform, and for everyday I prefer my Mac, but WRT compatibility with old stuff, Windows really rocks. You can install VirtualBox and Windows XP or 7 in your Mac. It should run all the old images without problems.

Quoting Bob Arning <arning315 at comcast.net>:

> In looking for a baseline for the change set history, I tried to see how early an image I could still run. That ended up being 2.5 with one small glitch noticed. I simply could not get earlier images to run well or at all. The Mac has gone through several processor/os changes since the early squeak days and this complicates things. So,
>
> - what's the earliest squeak image you can still run on your everyday computer?
> - is there a way to run earlier than 2.5 on a modern Mac?
>
> Cheers,
> Bob

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich