[squeak-dev] MNU sending #dependencies during an update

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 12:30:14 UTC 2013

http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunk/546/console shows a strange
error during the updating of an image from 4.4-12327 to trunk. I have
not seen this error when running headful!

MCMcmUpdate >> #updateFromRepositories sends #dependencies twice.
Judging by the "[] in [] in
SortedCollection(Collection)>>do:displayingProgress:every:" ancestor
context, this is the _second_ call site blowing up. The code looks
like this:

updateList
    do: [:assoc |
        ProgressNotification signal: '' extra: 'Processing ' , assoc value.
        config := r versionNamed: assoc value.
        "Skip packages that were specifically unloaded "
        config
            dependencies: (config dependencies
                reject: [:dep | self skipPackages includes: dep package name]).
            "stuff happens"]
    displayingProgress: 'Processing configurations'.

(I hope I've reproduced the snippet correctly. Gmail "helpfully"
removes any formatting, and so I've indented things by hand.)

So the MNU comes because "r versionNamed: assoc value" returns nil. I
have no idea what assoc looks like.

Has anyone seen an error like this? I'm about to try catch the MNU and
dump the contents of the contexts at the top of the stack, but I'm
open to hearing of better ideas. If all else fails I'll try an Eliot
move and snapshot the busy-failing image off to the side so I can try
resume the process and see what happens.

frank