[squeak-dev] Re: Code formatting patterns

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Oct 8 21:49:40 UTC 2013

Am 08.10.2013 um 23:14 schrieb Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:

> Hi Tobias, Tim,
>

> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 08.10.2013 um 22:49 schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

>> have implemented a parameterised formatted by now that auto-formatted code
>> to the preferences of the reader and this would all be moot.  But without a
>> good AI I don't see how to spot and preserve while reformatting multi-line
>> comments, comments with diagrams in them, etc, etc, etc.
>>>
>>> One possible thing we could do with comments is make them act like
>> comments to annotated Word/Pages documents. Select the section of code, hit
>> MagicKey-comment, enter comment in balloon. Comments get to live in their
>> own private formatting space, unaffected by whatever happens to the code
>> layout. Possibly, they could be handled so that the code differ doesn't
>> have to get confused by them, potentially simplifying that important job.
>>>

>> CodeTalk.
>> https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/codetalk
>> Yours truly had been involved with this in his bachelor's project[1]
>> which then was done in cooperation with Andreas and Qwaq.
>>
>> There is a Paper[2] with screenshots also, an Marcel[3] wrote his
>> Bachelor's Thesis
>> about this[4].
>>
>> You get pop-out chats on your code that get sync-ed via a monticello
>> extension.
>>

> So what does a file-out look like?  What's the textual/interchange format
> e.g. in a Monticello package?

There is no textual form in the monticello file.
The presence of chatting information is stored as extended
text attibutes (like links or colors) and the chats itself
are serialized binary as a new zip part (like snapshot.bin)
(see §3.6 of http://www.taeumel.eu/pdf/bachelors-thesis.pdf)

Best
	-Tobias