[squeak-dev] Re: Small text composition bench

J. Vuletich (mail lists) juanlists at jvuletich.org
Sun Oct 13 00:58:31 UTC 2013

Thanks Nicolas. This thread has been enlightening! I did some changes recently, mostly inspired in yours, that improve perfomance and simplify code.

You can download a fully updated Cuis from https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev . It should be a bit faster.

Thanks,

Juan Vuletich

Quoting Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>:

> I also tried composition in Cuis4.2 which is interesting because it uses the primitive 103, but is around 111ms for other reasons
>
> | text |
> text := Compiler evaluate: (FileStream fileNamed: 'text_cuis.st[1]') contentsOfEntireFile.
> MessageTally spyOn: [[100 timesRepeat: [(TextComposer new)
>                 composeLinesFrom: 1
>                 to: text size
>                 delta: 0
>                 into: OrderedCollection new
>                 priorLines: OrderedCollection new
>                 atY: 0
>                 text: text
>                 extentForComposing: ( 569 at 9999999)]] timeToRun ].
>
> 2013/10/11 Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>
>

> > It's COG that's impressive in this case (well, as long as Spur is not ready).
> > Indeed, the latest squeak still spends 713ms with a 4.10.10 interpreter VM, so primitive 103 makes a difference...
> > On the Pi, it still makes sense to try and restore primitive 103 - for the simple case of StrikeFont and ByteString...

> > > Really impressive!
> > >
> > > Dave

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich