[squeak-dev] VM download location confusion

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Oct 16 01:16:48 UTC 2013

On 15-10-2013, at 6:02 PM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> However, there have been no updates to the traditional Mac VM since 2010, and
> the Mac VM is effectively unmaintained at this time.

Oh boy. That's not good.

> With the loss of Andreas Raab we also no longer have an official Windows VM
> maintainer. As with Mac, Eliot provides Cog support for Windows, and Ian has
> built a recent interpreter VM for Windows on squeakvm.org.

Another problem.

> Branches of the interpreter and Cog VMs are separately maintained by the Pharo
> group. These have diverged from trunk and I cannot say if they are compatible
> with standard Squeak interpreter and Cog VMs.

And another interesting issue

> The Jenkins autobuilder at build.squeak.org is not a source of supported VMs.
> It serves only to verify the the integrity of the VMMaker source generation
> process. For supported standard VMs, http://squeakvm.org is the definitive
> site, with pointers to http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/ for Cog.

Ah, except not in the Mac case. Not sure who has the keys to that page but it certainly doesn't point to Eliot's place.

It would be nice to end up with the main squeak.org page(s) having trivially easy to follow links for, say, the latest (hopefully) stable VM and the latest (and hopefully usable) VM, with no potential for confusion.

tim
"How many bandersnatchii does it take to change a lightbulb?" "Two. One to sit on your armoured hunting car, and one to explain what you'll have to do before it gets off again."