[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Mac VM Maintainer resignation (for the general purpose VM, not for PharoVM)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 19 14:55:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 10:20:51AM -0400, Bob Arning wrote:
> One of the shortfalls is knowing what VMs are actually available. You
> suggest trying Esteban's, but where is it found? I have tried
> http://www.squeakvm.org/mac/release/Squeak%205.7.4.1.zip and that
> handles the trackpad better than COG, but is this Esteban's? It is over
> two years old, so I'm guessing not. A few more lines of explanation and
> perhaps a link or two on http://www.squeakvm.org/mac/ would be useful.
>

> Cheers,
> Bob

This was exactly the point of Tim's original inquiry:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2013-October/174063.html

Esteban's message was a follow up to that topic (with some private communication
in between).

Tim was referring to the links at http://squeakvm.org/mac/ which is intended
to provide download links for supported Squeak VMs. The "Latest Builds" section
currently points to Esteban's Pharo derived versions of the VM, and that is
what I meant in referring to Esteban's build.

I am not a Mac user, and I don't know if Esteban's build will work with
Squeak.  I am curious to know the answer, that's all. In any case, it is
clear that at some point we'll need a platform maintainer who can answer
questions like this and keep the squeakvm.org/mac page properly updated.

Dave