[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Graphics-nice.274.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Oct 22 19:27:41 UTC 2013

On 22-10-2013, at 7:01 PM, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:

> + 	map := aFont characterToGlyphMap.

Do we actually want this still? I know it is needed in terms of the ivar ordering, but that's a pity since it is a waste of time in all the cases I know about.

It's almost certainly an improvement to get the prim running again, but overall I *think* we'd do better by adding a new prim to BitBltPlugin, to sit alongside the primitiveDisplayString (which I see also requires a characterToGlyphMap at the moment. That way the bitbltplugin effectively becomes our StrikeFont renderer in the same fashion as the FreeTypePlugin works for FreeType fonts.

Has there ever been a case where that map was not effectively an identity map? I can see that there might be some appeal to mapping several characters to one glyph (like all non-printables to a null glyph) but has it ever been done that way?

This ties in with the two mantis reports I mentioned last night -
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1372
and
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1342
since it would affect how we implement solutions.

tim
Is reading in the bathroom considered Multi-Tasking?