[squeak-dev] Squeak evolution 1998 - 2008

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Sun Oct 27 18:53:52 UTC 2013

Bob Arning wrote:

> Morphic right from the start? As far as these change set go Morphic is
> there, but they represent additions to Squeak 1.31. Not sure about
> earlier versions. So the question is
>
> Was there ever a version of Squeak without Morphic? Jecel, you know?

Juan has already replied that Morphic was added to 1.19 (the versions I
remember before that were 1.13, 1.16, 1.17 and 1.18). Note that even
1.31 started up in a MVC project and you had to open a new Morphic one
to play around with that. This was inverted in 2.0, I think.

One issue is that 1998 is not "the start" at all. You might think that
not much is missing when you lack under two years, but it is important
to remember that the rate of development of the Squeak project was
amazing in the beginning compared to what we are now used to. That is
actually common for a low of projects. So one version doesn't have
networking at all, and then next you have a web browser that tries to
play Flash pages.

In terms of lines of code, on the other hand, the rate of development
got faster as time went on rather than slower. This isn't so obvious if
you do some statistics on the various images because there were several
times when a lot of code was removed from the official images. So if you
look at one image and it has 40% more classes/methods/lines of code than
an older one but the older one can sing "Silent Night" and the new one
can't, then the number is smaller than it should be.

Sam Adam asked about extending this back in time (I guess it would have
to be through Apple Smalltalk-80 and then back through Xerox Smalltalks)
and I mentioned a two year gap. It might be a neat idea to convert the
earlier changes into the same format (a lot of the needed information
can be found in the archives for this mailing list) and number them -1,
-2, etc...

-- Jecel