[squeak-dev] SqueakTrunk image on build.squeak.org broken?

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 10:38:56 UTC 2013

I don't say it's not possible, especially if you stay concentrated on one
distribution,
It's perfectly do-able, and I wish success to the 3 main branches, Cuis
Pharo Squeak.

What I say is that transporting packages from one distribution to another
is a tremendous work.
Even if we have cleaned inter-package dependencies (most of this hardwork
effectively comes from Pavel in Squeak/Pharo branches), we have to suffer
from
- different choices for some basic API (includeSubstring: as example)
- different delimitation of packages (Take Pharo Text-Scanning as example)
- total lack of support from Monticello

I sometimes tries to port some low level code (Kernel, Graphics, Morphic,
Collection) from one distribution to another, and often resort to using
change sets, MC just do not work.

Even if we would improve tools, the first two points depend on a minimum of
coordination, and it's not in the mood of Pharo developers.
Pharo want to be free of these chains, because it has to win a sprint:
- clean up the maximum of dust before the system is frozen by large user
base...
It's not a critic, I perfectly understand this position, it's a deliberate
choice.

Nicolas